Power Systems – Power Electronics – Battery Engineer
e-Zinc is searching for an exceptionally talented Power Systems/Power Electronics/Battery Engineer to join the engineering department. This is a rare opportunity that will provide a platform for the right person to help shape a young company’s technology and product strategy and contribute meaningfully to its success.
e-Zinc is an energy storage venture based in Toronto with a breakthrough technology poised to disrupt the market. As the global energy grid moves to higher levels of penetration of renewable energy, there will be an exponential increase in demand for low-cost, flexible, long-duration energy storage. This is the market targeted by e-Zinc, the first in the world to “metalize” electricity.
e-Zinc is on an incredible trajectory, which is illustrated by many significant funding and award milestones that recognize its unique technology and strong business plan, including:
- Recently closed a $30M Series A financing(Dec 2021)
- Named to the Global Cleantech 100as one of the top 100 most promising cleantech companies across the world
- Won a $1.6M grant through Breakthrough Energy Solutions Canada
- Won a $2M grant from Sustainable Technology Development Canada
- Won a USD $1.3M grant through California Energy Commission
Now that the company is well-capitalized, e-Zinc is now looking to expand its talented team to bring its technology to market to support the renewable energy transformation.
e-Zinc is searching for an exceptionally talented Power Systems/Power Electronics/Battery Engineer to join the engineering department. This is a rare opportunity that will provide a platform for the right person to help shape a young company’s technology and product strategy and contribute meaningfully to its success. The ideal candidate will appreciate this because he or she thrives in an entrepreneurial environment, is intelligent and technically savvy, has a passion for success, and will stop at nothing to ensure we achieve our goals collaboratively and collectively.
Reporting to the VP Engineering, the Power Systems/Power Electronics/Battery Engineer is responsible for integrating the power conversion system that charges and discharges a string (and banks of strings) of the e-Zinc electrochemical cells including the software, communications and data integration with the proprietary e-Zinc battery management system.
This role is responsible for the complete end-to-end delivery Power Conversion System (PCS) electrical train and system controls to support of the first functional field deployments of the e-Zinc system. As such the role involves a mix of power and energy modeling, electrical system design, developing system specifications, component supplier selection, hands-on assembly and testing, and software programming.
The person is responsible for practical solutions to electrical engineering problems that may arise during prototype testing and product development in a timely manner and will be involved in the prototype build and pilot testing. In addition, the person is expected to play dynamic roles in participating or leading specific projects or supervising junior personnel as well as engaging supplier partners to make or source parts or components depending on the needs of the company, and in doing so to take on more responsibilities as the business grows.
Position scope and responsibilities
The successful candidate will carry out the following activities:
- Responsible for the design, installation, testing and certification of the Power Conversion System for the e-Zinc Energy Storage System (hardware and software).
- Work with the Controls and Firmware Engineer to integrate the control logic and software communication between the e-Zinc Proprietary Battery Management System (BMS) and the inverter/charge controller and other protection and controls in the PCS electrical train.
- Technical Liaison with external suppliers.
- Energy throughput modeling of customer sites that may include solar, wind or diesel generation; participate in the preparation of feasibility studies.
- Connection Impact Assessments (CIA) by analyzing the impact of energy storage and/or renewable generation on the utility distribution system.
- Participate in the preparation of electrical studies: system impact assessment, grounding grid, protection and coordination, arc flash, harmonics, etc.
- Prepare technical content for project proposals.
- Prepare detailed engineering designs, single line drawings, layout drawings, conductor routings, cable schedules, grounding systems and technical specifications for construction work (greenfield and brownfield projects).
- Prepare cost estimates, RFQ’s and PO’s.
- Bring subject matter expertise to the engineering team and collaborate with mechanical, electronic, firmware/software and chemical engineers to solve system level issues.
- Participate and assist in PCS system testing and installation.
- Optimize e-Zinc’s energy storage technology by bringing forward new ideas to improve performance, reliability, and cost by applying best-in-class engineering principles and methods.
- Provide timely updates to VP Engineering identifying project risks & issues. Proactively propose solutions and swiftly implement new strategies, initiatives, and measures as requested.
- Minimum undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering with a specialty in Power Systems and Power conversion plus 10-20+ years of work experience in product development, engineering or manufacturing. Computer or systems engineers with relevant experience may also be considered.
- Advanced degrees are considered an asset.
- Registered with the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO)
- Working knowledge of the Canadian Electric Code, Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) and CAN/CSA requirements.
- Working knowledge of UL 1973, UL 9540, UL 1741 and related Battery and Energy Storage system Standards.
- Wide range of interest and knowledge base in multiple engineering disciplines; ability to quickly grasp concepts from other engineering disciplines and understand how they impact the PCS.
- Knowledge of computer architectures, networking, databases and operating systems. Programming experience.
- Programming knowledge in “C/C++”, CANbus, Python and the SunSpec standard.
- Superior time management and organizational skills.
- Extensive experience in creating detailed engineering drawings and electrical schematics. Please submit a portfolio demonstrating your capabilities with your application.
- A self-starter and adaptive learner.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Passionate about bringing new cleantech energy innovation to market.
- Experience in the battery, energy storage or the renewable power industry.
- Committed to the firm’s success and motivatedto strive and succeed in a start-up environment. Ability to handle multiple projects in parallel.
- Disciplined, hard-working and action oriented.
- Exceptional communications skills – oral, written, and presentation skills.
- High level of maturity, integrity and personal effectiveness.
- Personal accountability and commitment to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives.
Hours of Work and Location
- Flexibility to work extended hours and/or modified work weeks to support product development timelines (e.g. 4days on, 3 days off rotation with another cohort)
- Flexibility to travel domestically and internationally to support field commissioning of Energy Storage Systems.
Language of Work
- Work is conducted in English.
Please send resumes and cover letters via email using “Power Systems – Power Electronics – Battery Engineer” in the subject line to: careers@e-Zinc.ca and address your letter to Pieter de Koning, VP Engineering
Due to a high volume of applicants, please make our job easy to identify you as a match for this role. In your cover letter please explain your interest in the position and how your skills and experience are a match to the job description. We thank all applicants for their submission, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.